April 13, 2014

Journaling- The Benefits are Endless!

Happy Sunday!

Celebrating today with a freebie! My journal prompts are now free! 

I created these while working with a struggling fourth grader before the FCAT. This student loathed writing, and unfortunately wasn't the best writer. She was an amazing student- absolutely brilliant- but hated writing and put little to no effort in her writing pieces. After learning the benefits of journaling, I decided to create a notebook for her and would glue in a series of prompts for her to respond to. Each week when I met with her, if she completed one or more prompt and it was quality work, I would give a reward (a pencil, a fun eraser, etc.) Over a series of 12 weeks, this student made incredible progress.

I think with everything changing in education, writing has taken a backseat. This statement really bothers me as I see writing as such an important skill and a foundation to being an effective communicator. Another way I use journal prompts is by putting one a week on the whiteboard for students to start when they first come into the classroom. They love them! It also serves as a fun sort of incognito way to assess students' writing skills.


Click here to download and as always, please leave some love! 


Enjoy!
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog thru our Collaboration Connection! I hope the resources we provided will be helpful! Just became your newest follower!!

    Carrie
    Table Talk with C & C
    The Collaboration Connection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carrie! I will definitely be blogging more now that the school year has begun! I will be following you, also!

      Alicia

      Delete