April 6, 2014

Storytelling

I LOVE Storytelling! I have been trying to think of something clever to begin this post, but honestly, I can't come up with anything more true- I LOVE Storytelling!

When most people think of storytelling, they think folktales. Storytelling is a method in which the reader embellishes or places emphasis on the story to make it more appealing to the reader- which I think means it can be done with any genre! During a course at UCF, the professor made each and every one of us do this in front of the entire class. We had to have one prop and it had to be something easily made. 


I decided to read Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein. If you haven't read this yet, you really, really need to. It is hilarious! It also teaches kids the importance of NOT interrupting (ugh, a huge pet peeve!) I think I may need to read this next week... 

Here is my finger puppet I made. So incredibly easy! I used construction paper and goggly eyes, but I could have easily drawn the eyes on. Every time the little chicken interrupted, I took the finger puppet out from behind my back and loudly read his interruption. Of course I was more dramatic in front of a class of children than a class of my peers.
I can't believe I forgot about this quirky little book and puppet... I can't wait to read it to my second graders next week.




post signature

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! I have never heard of this book before, but I think that it would be great for me to read to my firsties. I could see myself reading this book at the beginning of the year too since it talks about interrupting others. Thanks for sharing!

    Jasmine
    Buzzing With Mrs. McClain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoy storytelling, it really helps them stay engaged throughout the whole story! This book is super cute! I encourage you to read it!

      Delete